I don’t care for the Rolling Stones (sorry to all the fans) but there is one song that sticks in my head, “You can’t always get what you want”. This comes up a lot for designers of any type because there is always a conflict between budget, customers desires and timing.
One of the biggest causes of the conflict is all the low-budget firms that advertise really low prices for anything that you want. Most business owners don’t realize that there are always tradeoffs for the low prices such as:
- They are using something they made for someone else and just making some changes to add your logo.
- They are not putting thought into what they are doing and how your customers will interact with the design
- You will be limited on what you can change
- You get pulled in by the low price and then find all the hidden fees later
- It will probably cost you every time you want to change because they have to do it
- Quality control is often very low
I am always efficient with time and money since it doesn’t do me any good to lose the customer after the job is over and I will often give 150% to a job to make sure the customer gets the best I can give. Nobody is perfect but it doesn’t mean that I can’t try.